A story of popes, condoms, religion and AIDS Politique et gouvernements

The pope Benoit 16 estimated this morning, March 17th, that the problem of AIDS cannot be resolved by distributing condoms.
He declared during a press conference aboard the plane which was driving him in Yaounde for his first journey in Africa :" We cannot solve the problem of the AIDS with the distribution of condoms. On the contrary their use aggravates the problem."
According to him the solution is " a spiritual and human wakening" and some " compassion for the ones who suffer".

dots
What's your opinion about it?

This is one of my biggest problems with religion. The complete ignorance of facts. AIDS has become such a big problem because people aren't educated about the risks. Someone like the Pope who has such a big influence, yet he doesn't use it in a responsible way.

Some people have such a strong faith in religion that they will believe what he says is true. He holds a very dangerous position. I don't see how any sensible perosn could agree what the Pope says.

I think awareness to the mass of people and precautionary steps are the solutions. Up to some extent, the pope is right because the world has different cultural and religious values. Therefore, this lethal disease can be stopped through declarations made by influential personalities to avoid the steps which cause to prevail AIDS. For example, in Islam, it is prohibited to have sex before getting married and there is less ratio of AIDS effected people in Muslim countries. In the poor countries of Africa, unawareness in people about precautions, is creating problem. Condoms are not only the safety. There are other ways by which a person can get effected.

. Up to some extent, the pope is right because the world has different cultural and religious values.
Does it allow him to say something like that? I personnaly don't want to get AIDS because of somebody who has different values than me because he/she is christian.

.Therefore, this lethal disease can be stopped through declarations made by influential personalities to avoid the steps which cause to prevail AIDS..
Agree with you and that's why I thank the influential personalities who make prevention by talking about condom's wearing.

. For example, in Islam, it is prohibited to have sex before getting married and there is less ratio of AIDS effected people in Muslim countries.
I think you know like me that forbidding sex before wedding doesn't serve to anything. Most of people have actually sex before marriage or use "different ways" to get some "pleasure" most of the time without being protected.

. In the poor countries of Africa, unawareness in people about precautions, is creating problem. .
There are in Africa a lot of organisations which are fighting to teach peopple how not to get infected. Some people like this (excuse me) silly pope actually destroy all their work.

.Condoms are not only the safety. There are other ways by which a person can get effected
Yeah of course that's what i was talking about when i said "different ways" to get some "pleasure". But do you really think the pope would say " don't use condoms but get protected by other ways!" ?
Condom is the best thing we found to be protected from AIDS for the moment.

Pope's ideas are too idealistic. It's never gonna happen.
Honestly, the most important thing is education and awareness about AIDS and safe sex. Condoms are the way forward now, whatever cultural/religious beliefs you have. Do you people get 'sex education' at school? It's banned in schools of some states in India. I don't know how it's gonna help the National AIDS Control Organisation, which has been advertising a lot about condoms for the common people. And, I'd rather get accurate and necessary information from a pro than another immature teen.

What I've never understood about the church was why it's always forced its views upon the rest of the world...
I mean, abortion is one thing, but no condoms?
That goes against basically everything I've learned in health...

...then again, I'm not Catholic...or Christian for that matter.

Well, I'm atheist, but I'm kind of sad when I hear what the pope says. Because millions of people listen to him, and with saying that condom shouldn't be used, he brings a lot of this humans to death. TheRainGoddess is right, he is idealistic, and that's a problem if people die because of it.

I think awareness to the mass of people and precautionary steps are the solutions. Up to some extent, the pope is right because the world has different cultural and religious values. Therefore, this lethal disease can be stopped through declarations made by influential personalities to avoid the steps which cause to prevail AIDS. For example, in Islam, it is prohibited to have sex before getting married and there is less ratio of AIDS effected people in Muslim countries. In the poor countries of Africa, unawareness in people about precautions, is creating problem. Condoms are not only the safety. There are other ways by which a person can get effected.
In Christianity, You are not allowed to have sex with someone else if you are not married to them. Yet we have to give people freedom if they choose to listen or not. Muslim countries have lower rates not because the qu'ran says so but because they enforce it and if you don't follow it you will be punished. For Christians and western world something as being extreme for punishment in not following the bible is disliked and frowned upon :S In Christianity you can believe what you want there are many parts of Christianity that is wrong but any aspects is right aswell. Most people who listen to the pope wouldn't have the aids problem as commonly but still. It is freedom of choice. Distributing condoms in my opinion is the best way but the Pope believes it is to not have sex before marriage. But if you do and get aids you will just have to live with it. Everything has flaws I guess you could say this is one of the pope's flaw.

It's against nature, all the ideology of Church, especially in the matter of sex. What you say TaiwaneseorChinese is impossible to do. People had sex, have sex and will have sex. The fact that pope doesn't want to admit it doesn't change the reality. If they force people to be against nature and than to spread diseases just to obey this sick regulations than they should be condemned by International Court as the offenders against mankind.